Crimes Against Children

What is Child Abuse?

An act or the failure to act by a parent or guardian, resulting in death, physical trauma or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation or presents an instance where a child may be at imminent risk. Most child abuse cases happen in a child’s home, with fewer instances occurring in the organizations, schools or communities the child interacts with. The offender can be a parent, family member, babysitter, neighbor or stranger.

The Four Major Categories of Child Abuse

Neglect is the failure of a parent or guardian to provide for a child’s basic needs

  • Physical Abuse is physical injury as a result of hitting, kicking, shaking, burning, or otherwise harming a child
  • Emotional abuse is any pattern of behavior that impairs a child’s emotional development of sense of self-worth
  • Sexual Abuse is any situation where a child is used for the sexual gratification of the perpetrator. This may include: indecent exposure, fondling, rape, or commercial exploitation through prostitution or the production of pornographic materials.

Signs of Child Abuse or Neglect

  • The child is always vigilant, as though preparing for something bad to happen. Comes to school or other activities early, stays late, and does not want to go home.
  • Lacks adult supervision.
  • Shows sudden changes in behavior or school performance.
  • Is overly compliant, passive, or withdrawn.
  • Has learning problems that cannot be attributed to specific physical or psychological causes.
  • Inappropriate clothing for the weather, such as: heavy, long sleeved pants and shirts on hot days.
  • Abnormal injuries for a child’s age.
  • Has not received help for physical or medical problems the parent or guardian is aware of.
  • Injuries that appear to have a pattern such as marks from a hand or belt.
  • Pattern of severe injuries.

Responding to Child Abuse and Neglect

Responding to child abuse and neglect involves protecting children from harm and continually supporting families in order to reduce the risk of future harm to children. If you suspect a child is being harmed, report your concerns to the appropriate authorities; such as: your local police department or the New Mexico Children Youth and Families Department (CYFD). CYFD works to ensure children and families receive services that address problems as they arise, services that are sympathetic to all races, ethnicities, religions, nationalities, genders, sexual orientations or disabilities and provides services that promise full participation and freedom of choice to all parties involved. Reports received by the CYFD staff may initiate an investigation to determine if a child has been or is at risk of being harmed. Staff may also assess the child’s and family’s needs or engage in other interventions to support the family’s efforts to provide a safe, nurturing environment for their children. CYFD works with law enforcement, courts, professionals and community members in order to protect children and provide support to families.

Child abuse must be reported to be stopped.


Child Abuse Brochure



NM Attorney General's Office

United States FBI

Cibola County Law Enforcement:
Cibola County Sheriff Office(505) 876-2040
Acoma Pueblo Police Department(505) 552-6601
Grants Police Department(505) 287-5144
Laguna Pueblo Police Department(505) 552-6685
Milan Police Department(505) 287-4491
Pine Hill – Ramah Navajo Police Department(505) 775-3226
New Mexico State Police(505) 287-4377

Sandoval County Law Enforcement: 
Sandoval County Sheriff Office(505) 867-7526
Bernalillo Police Department(505) 867-2304
Cochiti Pueblo Police Department(505) 465-3136
Corrales Police Department(505) 898-7585
Cuba Police Department(505) 289-9157
Jemez Pueblo Police Department(575) 834-0468
Jemez Springs Police Department(575) 829-3345
Kewa Pueblo - B.I.A. Police
(505) 346-2868/2869
Rio Rancho Police Department(505) 891-5900
Sandia Pueblo Police Department(505) 890-1428
San Felipe Pueblo – B.I.A. Police
(505) 346-2868/2869
Santa Ana Pueblo Police Department(505) 891-7226
San Ysidro Police Department(575) 834-7581
New Mexico State Police(505) 841-9256





Valencia County Law Enforcement: 
Valencia County Sheriff Department(505) 865-9603
Belen Police Department(505) 864-6288
Bosque Farms Police Department(505) 869-2358
Isleta Pueblo Police Department(505) 869-6511
Los Lunas Police Department(505) 865-9130
New Mexico State Police(505) 841-9256


New Mexico State Law Enforcement: 
New Mexico State Police(505) 827-9300